Where we are

The building in which we worked until the end of 2006 (below center) was opened in 1931 and named in honor of the eminent microbiologist Theobald Smith. The state of Theobald Smith Hall in mid 2008, during a major rebilding program, is depicted in the other photographs, as is our new location, dedicated to an earlier Rockefeller President Detlev W. Bronk.

HomeWho we areWho we were (selected alumni)

View Larger Map
The main entrance to Theobald Smith Hall

The bridge to the main entrance is being dismantled stone by stone to allow construction traffic to pass through and will be rebuilt upon completion of the project, which will include rebuilding the adjacent Flexner Hall and constructing a spanning structure (see below), in 2012.

Our old floor, after demolition, is pictured at the bottom of the page.


An artist's rendering of the finished project.


Left: two views of the North side and main entrance to the Detlev W. Bronk building.

Below: spring blooms at Rockefeller

Theobald Smith The son of German immigrants, Theobald Smith (1859-1934) was born in Albany, New York, and educated at Cornell University and Albany Medical School, where he headed the graduating class of 1883. He recognized, however, that his interests lay more in scientific investigation than in medicine and entered the Department of Agriculture in Washington. Here, his developing enthusiasm for the study of infectious diseases was stimulated by the discoveries of his peers Robert Koch (who announced the cultivation of the tubercle bacillus in 1882) and Paul Ehrlich, in Germany. Theobald Smith became the pre-eminent pioneer in American microbiology. In 1889, he discovered the protozoan parasite, Babesia, responsible for Texas Fever of cattle, and the role of ticks in its transmission. He was responsible for identifying the causes of several other animal diseases and for raising important public health issues, by demonstrating the contamination of the Hudson river by fecal bacteria. Smith declined the position of director of The Rockefeller Institute, at its founding in 1901. However, after working ifor several years in n Washington and at Harvard Medical School, he joined the Princeton laboratories of the Rockefeller Institute in 1915, where he remained as director of the Department of Animal Pathology until his official retirement in 1929. This summary was compiled from information supplied by the Rockefeller Archive Center
Top of page Tennis for the benefit of science

We have a nice tennis court, a luxury in New York!

Our old floor in Smith hall after demolition

© The Rockefeller University